We are only one week away from the beginning of retreat!
Below are a few housekeeping things to check off your list so your excitement doesn’t turn into panic!
Tennis shoes & Athletic wear
Notebook and pen
The YMCA Camp Storer offers a variety of activities and amenities at the campsite. Morning and evening are often cool and afternoons can warm up significantly.
*If you are flying in for retreat, we will bring bedding for you.
This year’s schedule is now up on the retreat website. While there might be some minor changes, this will give you an idea of
what to expect for the weekend.
You can click on the individual workshops to see a brief description.
Along with this we are excited to reveal another workshop!
Self Defense Seminar
We are so excited to announce that we will be having a Self Defense Seminar this year! You will learn awareness and how to fight back and defend your life against an attacker.
A few points to keep in mind:
• Wear athletic clothes and clean athletic shoes!!!
• Three hours of self defense instruction with live stress drills.
• Practice what you learn on a live attacker wearing a tactical padded suit. Learn to use your fight or flight reaction to your advantage.
• Learn how to trust your instincts and how to deter an attack before it happens.
• Learn and perform striking, kicking, choke defenses, bear hug defenses and how to target the weakest areas on an attacker.
• This seminar is highly interactive and everybody will have multiple chances to use what they learn in stress attack drills.
Every morning for the last five hundred years, Sikhs have gathered together to sing Asa ki Var. Guru Nanak Sahib (with some Slokhs from Guru Angad Sahib) revealed this Bani to destroy the idea of duality and so that the unity of Ik Oan Kar could reign supreme.
Explore with us as we examine how Guru Sahib tackles the duality of our thoughts; how we separate the Creator from Creation. We will learn how he challenges the duality in our actions, how our inauthenticity and hypocrisy comes in the way of a genuine love for Vahiguru.
Finally we will see how Guru Sahib seeks to expose the duality of our societies. The categories we create between pure and impure, good and bad. Let us try and feel a glimpse of the awe that Guru Ji felt upon seeing a fully connected and unified Divinely infused universe.
What does Gurbani say about mental wellness? How do we balance this with and evidence based, western mental health framework? Bring your questions to this interactive session as we explore ways to support our mental state with bani and wellness!
Moderator: Jaspreet Kaur (ON)
Register for SYANA Gurmat Retreat 2019! www.sikhyouthalliance.org/retreat
Over the next few days, we will share the exciting talks, workshops and speakers we have lined up for retreat, that will motivate and reignite your connection with gurbani, gurmat and rehat.
Vaaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Vaaheguru Ji Ki Fateh!We are just a month away from the annual SYANA Gurmat Retreat 2019! This year we will be celebrating Guru Nanak Sahib Ji! 2019 marks the 550th year since Guru Nanak’s arrival into this world. Guru Nanak instigated a personal and communal revolution that the world has never seen before and yet to fathom.
First up is:
ਬਾਣੀ ਅਤੇ ਬੈਹਣੀGurbani is a multi-dimensional source of inspiration, guidance, and insights. Exploring the language, metaphors, and socio-political historical contexts of a Shabad of Guru Nanak, we will examine how Guru Nanak framed the path of Sikhi through practical lessons regarding behavior, politics, and emotions. This workshop creates space for individuals to delve deeply into Gurbani and equip them with tools to interpret Gurbani at an individual level.
2019 SYANA Gurmat Retreat is just around the corner and we are excited to see familiar faces and especially excited to meet new people!
Thank you for registering, a few things we wanted to let you know before your arrival:
1. If you are traveling in by plane, train or bus please email us at email@example.com with your information so appropriate transfers can be arranged. 2. Please don’t forget to bring bath slippers for the bathroom, bedding for a twin size bed, and towels. Note: If you are flying into Detroit, we will do our best to provide bedding for you. We will be in contact once we receive your flight information. 3. You will need tennis shoes for some of the weekend activities. 4. Please try and bring a water bottle. 5. Visit the FAQ section on the website for common questions, but please feel free to email us with any questions you may have. 7. If you have any allergies or dietary restrictions – please let us know. 8. If you have any concerns or special requests, please email us, and we will do our best to accommodate your needs.
Again, we are excited about the opportunity to spend time with all of you. We’ll see you on Friday May 24th!
Vaahiguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Vaahiguru Ji Ki Fateh! Dear Sangat far & wide,
Registration for this year’s annual Gurmat Retreat is now open! SYANA Gurmat Retreat is an annual tradition that brings together Sikhs of all backgrounds to connect & reflect on the wisdom and daily practice of Sikhi – all while spending a weekend surrounded by nature in Jackson, MI.
This year is especially special. 2019 marks the 550th year since Guru Nanak’s arrival into this world. Guru Nanak instigated a personal and communal revolution that the world has never seen before and yet to fathom. In the words of Bhai Gurdas, “Bliss envelopes the world! Guru Nanak brings freedom in the age-of-ignorance.” (Var 1, Pauri 37). As heirs to this incredible legacy, we center the theme of retreat around Guru Nanak: 1469 to Eternity in hopes to understanding the enigma & revolutionary that was our first Paatshah.
Retreat planning is underway. Here’s what you may look forward to:
Connecting to the Guru as a Sangat every day through divan & kirtan
Insightful workshops that challenge frameworks and ask tough questions
Meaningful discussions & conversations about various Panthic & world issues.
An amazing campsite with good food & incredible views of the sky!
Opportunities to learn and practice new skills; new experiences!
Networking with Sikhs ages 18 – 35 of all backgrounds
For more information about this year’s retreat, visit our FAQs. Please join us for an inspiring weekend.
SYANA Gurmat Retreat is nearly here. We are looking forward to the events at this year’s retreat and hope you will take advantage of this opportunity to come together as Sikhs to explore and reflect upon your personal path towards the Guru.
Through daily Nitnem, Keertan Divaans, various workshops, Gurbanee discussions, and healthy debate, we will explore our connection with the Guru, Sangat and beyond.
Come take part in this unique weekend of self-exploration and building Panthic unity. Registration will open soon.We look forward to seeing you May 24 to 27th at YMCA Camp Storer!